Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Editing Demo Reels for friends

I like editing reels for friends and I am pretty good at it. The secret in cutting a good reel is music that you can cut to and the ability to group disparate elements together in a cohesive story. I like showing examples of camera movement, motion, lighting, talking heads, makeup, performance, and direction. It helps to provide talking points to show what they can do. Reels are just conversation starters so you can discuss a common image and find out what you have in common with each other visually. Very few people follow up with the last step. 


With Bell Films I had to match a series of Films and HD in a cohesive way to show what he can do. I composed the music for the camera Reel. Then we cut larger sections of his writing and producing in segments to show his international work. 

No comments: